Thursday, April 19, 2012

Best Postseason in Sports?

Take a look at what we're talking about here. I mean, the Stanley Cup playoffs are a two-month physical and mental grind. Think about that. That's two months where you play just about every other day. With each passing game, you're more beat up, but you keep going. The guys grow those "playoff beards" because they want to look like they feel—worn. They play through injuries that would make a college hoops kid cry for his mom. And, we know that most baseball players can't play with even the slightest ailment. Only in the Stanley Cup playoffs could you find a guy like Bobby Baun, who scored a Cup clinching goal while playing on a broken ankle!

The NCAA tournament is a nice gambling event for America. Last spring, I think I was the only person in the country who didn't have a "bracket." That's the biggest draw for the NCAA tournament. It's the chance for the average Joe or Jane to win some extra dough by picking games between schools that they would have trouble locating on a map. That's cool. But really, you could do the same type of tourney with our top high school hoop teams and—as long as there's a bracket—people will get into it. 
Take away the office pool and the tournament becomes less interesting. However, I give a lot of credit to the NCAA for realizing this was the reason for their success and expanding the tournament to take advantage of the gambling. 



I do dig the baseball playoffs. I like the tension. And, like the Cup playoffs (and unlike the NCAA tourney), you're dealing with guys playing at the highest level of their sport. But, on the ice, we've had just as many upsets and unexpected heroes as you might find on the diamond. And, yes, you just might find some fourth liners on the ice late in a Game 7. And, if that close game is tied at the end of regulation, we play next goal wins. Overtime is crazy! I can't tell you how many times that I've heard from both diehard and casual hockey fans, "there's nothing like playoff overtime." No, there isn't. There's nothing in sports like the Stanley Cup playoffs.

No comments:

Post a Comment