Tuesday, October 26, 2010

How Far Do You Think You Could Hit A Golf Ball Down 3rd Avenue?

Big heated debate yesterday amongst myself and my crew of retards. My delusional roommate thinks he can hit a golf ball EIGHTY city blocks down 3rd ave. 80. Eight zero. Has to be the stupidest comment of all time, right? Dumbest debate I’ve had since people doubted if I could walk to Florida or get away with murdering someone in Manhattan.

We’re gonna say that a city block is roughly 1/20th of a mile. I’d say thats fair. 20 blocks in a mile. 1/20th of a mile is 264 feet. So 80 blocks is 21,120 feet. To translate that into golf terms thats 7,040 yards. Or if you want to really put things in perspective, four miles.

My roommate thinks he can drive a golf ball four miles.

Couple things you gotta remember – He’s talking about how much bounce he’d get off the concrete and the sides of buildings and shit and we gave him the caveat that it wouldn’t just hit the back of a car or something and get stuck. Now, he’s 100% correct in saying that a golf ball will bounce for days on concrete. I remember I used to hit golf balls with baseball bats and tennis racquets and they’d go to the motherfuckin moon. But there’s simply no chance you can hit a golf ball four miles. That's like going from Grand Central to 125th street. More or less you’re hitting a ball the entire useful portion of Manhattan.

If he hits a shot square 300 yards, thats roughly 3 blocks. He’d need 77 blocks of roll. You’re legitimately insane if you think that can happen. I said he could hit it about 8 blocks. Which might be a little bit on the low side. This may be the stupidest conversation I’ve ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment