Anyway I just watched 4 Days in October like everybody else in New England and thought it was borderline perfect. The best 30 for 30 by a mile. So without further ado here are my reactions to it in no particular order.
1. I guess I’ll start with the only negative. The banter between Bill Simmons and Lenny Clarke was brutal.. Like we get it guys. You’re both from Boston. Well Simmons is from Greenwhich but whatever. The point is they brought absolutely nothing to the table. They just threw one cliche after another at each other and then played who can top this with awkward fake laughter. And for the love of the god would you take a fucking sip of your brew already? Seriously what is the point of making it seem like you’re shooting the shit over a coupled drinks at a bar if you’re not going to touch them?
2. I love Steven King.
3. Even though I know by heart everything Papi did in that series it’s still surreal when you watch the highlights in order like that. Like I found myself sitting there being like no way Papi can come through again even though I know he does. It was that amazing. Dude single handily won that series. He really did. Also kind of makes me feel bad when people want to bench him or trade him. He should have a roster spot for as long as he ever wants it. He earned that much.
4. My favorite guy on earth was the dude who was in the Yankees sweater and looked shocked with him jaw hitting the floor. Like whenever I’m having a bad day or feel sad I’m just going to look at this dude and instantly cheer up. Fuck you bro.
5. I want to bang that chick in the Yankee hat with the blonde hair.
6. I’ll tell you one thing that makes no sense. How Dave Roberts gets so much publicity for stealing 2nd base and nobody ever talks about Bill Mueller knocking him in. Kevin Millar kind of touched on it by saying Mueller doesn’t get enough credit for his AB, but even that is a slap in the face. Makes it sound like he moved the runner over or something. Dude had the game tying hit. I’m not quite sure why the stolen base is seen as the bigger play. It’s not.
7. This just reinforced why I’m such a Tito fan. Sure some of his in game decisions are sometimes questionable but what manager’s isn’t? Bottomline is he seems like a great dude and he played a huge role in keeping everybody together. Also loved his “watch my hair” line in the champagne celebration.
8. The only bad thing about watching this was it made me long for the days when everybody thought Arod was a curse. .People forget what a loser this guy is since he won a ring last year Sucks. Like if he never won a World Series that hamburger helper move would be the thing everybody remembers him for. Very sad.
9. I loved how Dan Shaughnessy only made a 4 second cameo in this and that was only when Millar called him out for writing that they were gutless. It’s refreshing to see a Red Sox documentary in which Shank isn’t selling books or pushing his own agenda. He got 4 seconds of airtime and that was only to make him look like an asshole. God bless.
10. I think I like Kevin Millar now. I’ve always held a grudge against him because of the way he treated Nomar. In case you forget he went on ESPN before the season started and said that he’d rather have Arod. Well I think it’s time to let bygones be bygones. He knows he was wrong and I can accept his apology. Bottom-line is he appeared to be the heart and soul of this team keeping everybody together after they were down 3-0.
11. How did the great Joe Torre not try one bunt against Curt Schilling?
12. Obviously the typical Yankees fan reaction to 4 Days in October is something along the lines of “who are you guys playing tomorrow, blah, blah, blah” Well guess what? It doesn’t bother me. Because Yankee fans will never have a moment like we did. They will never feel what we felt. They will never be as excited, exhilarated or jubilant as we were. It doesn’t matter how many more titles they win. Nothing can ever compare to the 2004 Sox. It’s the most memorable, most defining, most important, most historic series either of these teams have ever played in and we were on the winning side and there is nothing anybody can do to change it. All the suffering was worth it for that one year. It really was.
No comments:
Post a Comment